Chia seeds are a flowering plant of the mint family. The seeds are highly recommended by health experts and are added to diets in the form of puddings, salad, smoothies and more. Chia seeds are increasingly gaining popularity due to its high omega-3 and fiber content among other nutrients like iron, calcium, magnesium and zinc. Apart from this, adding chia seeds to your diet can improve cardiovascular risk factors. They can be consumed whole or ground.
What are the benefits of Chia Seeds?
- With fewer calories, Chia seeds are packed with various nutrients.
- They are loaded with Anti-oxidants.
- They are high in protein.
- Almost all the carbohydrates are fibers. Fibers are very important to keep your gut clean and that’s why it’s recommended to consume chia on a daily basis.
- Consuming Chia seeds over a long time can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
How can Chia seeds be consumed?
Chia seeds are sold either in their whole form, which looks small, oval and black or in their powdered form. Although the way you consume chia doesn’t influence the benefits, it’s better to buy the whole chia and ground it at home as shopbought ground chia may not always be in it’s purest form.
Some say the best way to consume chia is to wash a spoonful of powdered chia with a glass of water first thing in the morning. If this is not something you see yourself doing then do not fret! Over the years, with the popularity that chia has gained, people have found creative ways to include chia in their diet.
Soak 2 spoon fulls of whole chia seeds in half a cup of warm water. After about 15 minutes strain out the excess water if necessary. The chia should have soaked up the water and gained a gelatinous coating around it. This can be added to a bowl of cut fruits, a glass of lemonade, some chocolate pudding or your morning smoothie.