Deepthi Velkur takes a look at the Garmin Forerunner 935, a sports watch that might just become your next best friend.
Running or participating in any intense sport is a delightful experience in itself. However, to take it up a notch and make the most of it or keep a tab on your performance levels, a great sports watch is your best friend.
Huge technological strides have made it possible for even amateur runners to have more detailed insight into how they are performing. That is a far cry from the old days when even elite runners depended on a stopwatch and their own assessment.
With running tech becoming far more efficient and economical, the average runner can now afford to invest in a feature-packed sports watch. A good sports watch is far more than just an everyday fitness tracker as they come with built-in GPS, helps you analyze run-specific metrics and also assess training programmes.
If you’re in the market looking for a sleek watch that can track pretty much anything, then look no further. The Garmin Forerunner 935 is a comprehensive GPS watch designed to be the ultimate training companion for experienced runners and triathletes. Sitting at the top of the Forerunner family, it is designed to be a lightweight(49g) and comfortable watch to wear all day and absolutely packed with technology.
Apart from just providing real-time data like the pace, VO2max, interval training, elevation gain/loss, distance, etc. the Forerunner 935 does a whole lot of other things that athletes can benefit from and fine-tune their training and recovery to be better each day.
Garmin Forerunner 935 Specs
- 47 x 47 x 13.9 mm with interchangeable 22mm silicone straps
- A 1.2inch screen with 64 colour display
- 240 x 240-pixel transflective display (screen visible even in sunlight)
- Extra-long battery life Up to 2weeks on GPS/HR mode & 24hrs on Ultra Trac mode
- GPS/GLONASS sensors
- No touch-screen but has buttons on the sides that can be accessed easily
- Works with iOS, Android and windows
- 24/7 activity tracking
- Multisport tracking (running, cycling, swimming, hiking, skiing and more)
Features that stand out
- The 935 is compatible with Garmin’s line of easy-to-swap QuickFit bands that suit every event and can be changed easily from classic leather to high-end metal and even sporty silicone.
- Multi-activity monitoring making it ideal for athletes with the help of built-in activity profiles for running (indoor/outdoor), cycling (indoor/outdoor), swimming (pool/open water), cross-country skiing, paddle sports, trail running, hiking, strength training and many more.
- Water resistance rating of 5ATM which translates to being safe up to 50m depth. It also has a separate mode specific for swimming.
- The watch also acts as a great cycling computer with outdoor and indoor cycling modes and it also has the ability to connect to ANT+ bike speed and cadence modules.
- Comes with a dedicated triathlon mode too that keeps a track of each leg, providing customized information for each sport along with transition times.
- The watch is equipped with built-in barometric altimeter, gyroscope, and thermometer for giving a more precise altitude and elevation data.
- Compatible with the running dynamics pod that measures crucial running metrics to analyze your performance and biomechanical data like cadence, stride length, ground contact time and balance, vertical oscillation, and vertical ratio that are crucial to understanding your form so you bring your best on race day.
- Anaerobic and aerobic training effect statistics gives you a practical insight if you are training productively, peaking or undertraining and recommendations for the recovery time you need.
- A very reliable optical wrist-based heart-rate monitor to track your heart rate 24/7 and indicate the heart-rate zone you’re in during exercise which is extremely accurate. The 935 also gives you an option to tap into more data with the help of a compatible chest strap heart rate monitor(HRM- run or HRM-Tri). This unlocks advanced features such as the lactate threshold and HRV(heart rate variability) stress test.
- You can customize loads of screens using the up and down arrow and track everything from pace to time and also monitoring which foot is more dominant. You can also set interval sessions from your watch itself, or create structured training sessions on the Garmin Connect app downloaded on your phone which can be sent to your watch.
- Can be paired with your compatible smartphones which give you access to automatically upload and sync to Garmin Connect, a free online fitness community where your progress can be reviewed and even shared via social media.
- With the Forerunner 935, your free to go anywhere your activities take you, thanks to the GPS and GLONASS coverage which can track even in challenging environments
- The Garmin Forerunner 935 is expensive and is priced at INR 40,690 on Amazon.in
The Garmin Forerunner 935 is an exceptional multi-sport watch that combines the features of an excellent smartwatch and a fitness tracker. The only drawback would be the lack of music support. Additionally, the price tag may deter a few but if you’re invested in your fitness, this watch is a worthwhile investment.