We explore how running can improve your health and also let you indulge in your passion for the outdoors, writes Nandini Reddy.
Gyms are a great place for those looking to get in shape but they also come with a limitation of being indoors. Many people dislike being indoors and avoid going to gyms altogether. But if you still want to get healthy outdoors then running is the best option.
We have decided to explore 15 reasons that would motivate you to pick running as your go to way to stay healthy:
- Running burns 700-800 calories in an hour as per a study.
- Runners live longer than non-runners. This isn’t just an empty claim, there is a whole lot of research behind this. Apparently runners out live non-runners by 20%.
- If you live in the big city then running is one thing that you will not need to commute for. That is a big plus for those of you who hate commuting to the gym.
- Running releases happy hormones and gives you a high that is equivalent to cannabis as per a study published by Experimental Technology
- You get a lot of sun when you run. So you will never run of out of Vitamin D.
- You need minimal equipment to run – the most basic being a pair of shoes, shorts and a T-shirt.
- There is no restriction on timing, so you can choose to run whenever you want
- You can stick to your exercise routine even when you travel because running is an easy exercise to follow anywhere
- It gives your heart and lungs a good workout
- Its a high impact exercise that has amazing benefits on your bones
- You are less likely to fall sick with colds and coughs when you are a runner
- It is a very meditative form of exercise that gives you alone time to introspect. Don’t like being alone then its also a great way to socialize with other runners.
- Running always lifts your moods. If you are feeling dull or low then a run can always lift your mood.
- You have a variety of terrains to run – roads, trains, hills, forests, etc. It never gets boring.
- It doesn’t matter if you are an athlete or a newbie, you can always take up running
Whatever you reason just get out and run.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
An irregular runner who has run in dry, wet, high altitude and humid conditions. Loves to write a little more than run so now is the managing editor of Finisher Magazine.